Saturday, June 11, 2011

Using Solver tool in Excel and Google Docs

While I was working on the first problem in The Science of Decision Making book, it dawned on me that not only does Excel have a solver tool for Linear Programming problems, but Google docs spreadsheet also has a solver. So I tried the problem in both tools. Unfortunately I got different results. I tried the same steps over and over again to confirm if I make a mistake. So far they do not reconcile.

Results in Excel (which match the results in the book)


So I will email Google to find out if there is something I am missing.   

1 comment:

  1. FYI: just out of curiosity I tried using the solver in Google spreadsheet and found the result matching that of Excel. I guess it should not be a surprise because this is a common LP problem.

    ReplyDelete